complaint image



In the fields of taxation and electoral registration the Assessor and Electoral Registration Officer cannot always bring about the outcome you would wish. A formal appeals process exists to consider disputes about the level of rateable value or council tax band and these are dealt with by an independent Local Valuation Appeal Committee. In certain cases appeals in connection with electoral registration may be made to the local Sheriff. Details of how to appeal can be found by visiting our Appeal Procedure page for rating appeals or the Council Tax proposal page.

However, we should be able to deal with your case fairly, knowledgeably, courteously and within a reasonable amount of time. If, after conducting business at this office you wish to comment on some aspect of the service you received you can complete a Feedback form on-line or if you are left feeling dissatisfied with the service you have received and wish to lodge a complaint, please see belowfor our complaints procedure.

Ayrshire Valuation Joint Board is committed to providing high-quality customer services.

We value complaints and use information from them to help us improve our services.

If something goes wrong or you are dissatisfied with our services, please tell us.

In September 2013, Ayrshire Valuation Joint Board introduced a Complaints Handling Policy which is based on the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) Local Authority Model Complaints Handling Procedure.

Click here to access a copy of our Complaints Handling Procedure.

Click here to access our Complaints Handling Procedure Customer Information Leaflet.

This describes our complaints procedure and how to make a complaint. It also tells you about our service standards and what you can expect from us.

What is a complaint ?

We regard a complaint as an expression of dissatisfaction by one or more members of the public about the Joint Board’s action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by or on behalf of the Joint Board.

What can I complain about ?

You can complain about things like :

  • Failure to provide a service.
  • Failure to achieve standards or quality of service promised by the Joint Board.
  • Dissatisfaction with Joint Board policies or the way they are being applied or administered.
  • The Joint Board’s failure to follow the appropriate administrative process.
  • Failure, negligence or delays in responding to customers’ inquiries or requests.
  • Inappropriate/unacceptable treatment by, or attitude of, a member of staff.

This list does not cover everything.

What can’t I complain about ?

There are some things we can’t deal with through our complaints handling procedure. These include things that are covered by a right of appeal e.g. if you believe your house is incorrectly banded for council tax you can make a proposal to the Assessor to amend the Band.

A complaint is not :

  • A routine first-time request for a service.
  • A request for compensation.
  • An issue that is in committee, court or a tribunal or has already been heard by a committee, court or a tribunal.
  • A disagreement with a decision where a statutory right of appeal exists, for example in relation to council tax or non-domestic rating appeals.
  • An attempt to reopen a previously concluded complaint or to have a complaint reconsidered where we have already given our final decision.
  • Formal complaints concerning valuations under the Valuation Acts.
  • Objections to inclusions in the Electoral Register.

If other procedures or rights of appeal can help you resolve your concerns, we will give information and advice to help you.

Who can complain ?

Anyone can make a complaint to us, including the representative of someone who is dissatisfied with our service. Please also read the section ‘Getting help to make your complaint’.

How do I complain ?

You can complain in person at our office, by phone, in writing, e-mail or via our complaints form.

adobe image   AVJB Complaint Form

It is usually easier for us to resolve complaints if you make them quickly and directly to us. So please talk to a member of our staff. Then they can try to resolve any problems on the spot.

When complaining, tell us :

  • your full name and address.
  • as much as you can about the complaint.
  • what has gone wrong.
  • how you want us to resolve the matter.

How long do I have to make a complaint ?

Normally, you must make your complaint within six months of :

  • the event you want to complain about, OR
  • finding out that you have a reason to complain, but no longer than 12 months after the event itself. In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to accept a complaint after the time limit. If you feel that the time limit should not apply to your complaint, please tell us why.

You can write to “Ayrshire Valuation Joint Board" at :-
9 Wellington Square
Telephone Number : 01292 612221
E-mail to :

For more information, visit our website at:

What happens when I have complained ?

For further information continue here.