FAQs : Electoral Registration

Q1 :   Where can I check if my name is on the electoral register ? faq image
A1 :   The complete register for Ayrshire is available for public inspection at the Electoral Registration Office. Copies of the register, for your own area, are available for inspection at main council offices and local libraries.
Q2 :   How do I register to vote ?
A2 :   You can apply to register online by visiting www.gov.uk/register-to-vote, alternatively contact the Electoral Registration Office using the contact details below and an Invitation to Register form will be posted out to you.
Q3 :   Who qualifies to be registered ?
A3 :   British citizens, Commonwealth citizens and citizens of the Republic of Ireland are entitled to register. Citizens of Member States of the European Community are entitled to register and will be eligible to vote at Local Elections and Scottish Parliamentary Elections and will also be allowed to vote at European Parliamentary Elections if they also complete the appropriate registration form available from the Electoral Registration Office.
Q4 :   What age must I be to register ?
A4 :   You can apply to register from 15 years of age. You will be entitled to vote if you are 16 on or before the Election if the Franchise of the election is based on local government franchise. To vote in any election based on the UK Parliamentary Franchise you must be 18 years of age.
Q5 :   How do I qualify for an absent vote ?
A5 :   Only electors who are (or are applying to be) registered individually are entitled to apply to vote by post. You no longer require to have a reason to obtain a postal vote and you can register to vote by post at any time ( there is no need to wait for an election to be called ).
An application to vote by post form can be downloaded from https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter.
You can also apply on a separate form for a proxy to vote on your behalf. Only electors who are (or are applying to be) registered individually are entitled to apply to vote by proxy. In addition, the person you wish to appoint as your proxy can only act as proxy if they are 16 and are (or are applying to be) registered individually. Should you require a form to vote by proxy please contact the Electoral Registration Office or download an application form from the site https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter.
Q6 :   I am a British Citizen but I live abroad, can I vote ?
A6 :   If you are a British Citizen living abroad it is possible to register to vote, however, certain conditions apply. You must previously have resided in the U.K. and your name must have appeared on the Electoral Register within the past 15 years. The registration will require to be renewed annually and if accepted you will be entitled to vote only at U.K. Parliamentary Elections.
Q7 :   Who can I contact for more help and information ?
A7 :   Assessor and Electoral Registration Officer
9 Wellington Square
Tel : 01292 612221